THE YEAR IS HALF OVER AND THIS NEW MUSIC FRIDAY IS APPROPRIATELY CELEBRATORY.
We’ve got an assortment of high quality pop today, including quite a few familiar faces doing some exciting things.
Scroll on for the highs, the lows, and the “oh”s of this landmark week:
- Fuck-pop pioneers The Magnettes have dropped their (very good) debut album Ugly Youth today! They’ve also released a new single off it; ‘Renegades’ is a massive, machete-wielding belter that seduces you into a public restroom and then slices your head clean off. AMAZING STUFF.
- Harper’s ‘Bad Luck’ opens with an instantly arresting guitar riff and a spirited “HEY!” – so it’s fairly clear from the get-go that she’s not playing around. ‘Bad Luck’ is a lot punchier than what we’re used to from Harper, but the slick new sound works for her, and DNCE wishes they had a tune like this up their collective sleeves.
- Anna Of The North‘s discography exists in an alternate reality of endless pink clouds and sparkling waterfalls that taste faintly of mint. Every one of their singles takes you to that place, and ‘Someone’ is no exception. Their debut LP Lovers is out September 8th, and by the way things are going it looks set to upgrade our quality of living by a good 54%.
REALLY JUST OKAY
- OneRepublic‘s latest isn’t all that but it’s for a nice cause? Kinda? You’d still expect something a bit more dramatic soundtracking An Inconvenient Truth‘s follow-up but HEY HO.
- Kygo and Ellie Goulding have plopped some alright remixes of their not-so-alright collaboration ‘First Time’ onto the internet. Unfortunately for us all, even the Midas touch of Gryffin couldn’t quite salvage this one. );
BARRED FROM THE PARTY
- Incredibly, there’s nothing truly terrible to watch out for today! Here’s a lovely song from Miss Jordin Sparks instead.
And that’s that! You can follow the highly enjoyable playlist featured above by clicking right here, and make sure to check back next week to see what new tracks make it on.